Neighbourhood Law Centre
The Neighbourhood Law Centre is a Yukon Legal Services Society (YLSS) community clinic, providing legal aid to individuals in non-family, civil matters impacting their livelihood, physical or mental health, or ability to provide food, clothing, and shelter for themselves or their families.
Who we are
The clinic is staffed by lawyers who are qualified to provide free legal advice as well as representation to eligible clients in areas of:
- Employment Insurance
- Canada Pension Plan and Canada Pension Plan Disability Insurance
- Social Assistance Benefits
- Landlord/Tenant and Housing Matters
- Disability Issues
In addition to these poverty law services, we provide the same criminal, family, child protection and mental health services as the other Legal Aid Clinics.
What we cover
- Government income assistance: social asssistance, employment insurance, Canada Pension Plan and Canada Pension Plan disability benefits
- Housing matters: situations in which a tenant is facing eviction due to a dispute with a landlord or the SCAN legislation, situations where the landlord is not returning the damage deposit. We will generally not assist landlords as their disputes do not impact their ability to provide shelter for themselves or their families so does not fall within the clinic’s mandate.
- Disability issues: this could include a number of situations, such as where an individual needs assistance because someone is challenging their capacity and seeking to be appointed as their guardian and the individual is opposed to the appointment.
What we do not cover
- Medical malpractice/appeals of Yukon Medical Association decisions
- Accident claims (e.g. motor vehicle, personal injury)
- Workers compensation board matters
- Power of attorney/wills & estates
- Municipal law (issues with by-law, land/property tax issues, issues with neighbour’s dogs)
- Wildlife Act
- Motor Vehicle Act
- Employment/labour law
- General assistance with filling out forms (e.g. immigration forms)
Please feel free to contact us to schedule a consultation appointment.